Sunday, April 3, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

I am really excited for project 3 because I've been waiting to able to write on an issue that's near and dear to me. I know many will find it interesting, but I just hope as many will respect it. Also sorry if this is a lot to read and kind of confusing, some areas have overlapping ideas.

Some perspective: My project is going to be rooted by the book, "Girls & Sex" by Peggy Orenstein. I will be arguing that the conversation of sex, especially in regards to female sexuality, needs to change- that there needs to be a shift in concern for girls because they have been mislead and deprived, as a result of America's societal and cultural pressures and misconceptions. 

*and a quick note, because I know this gets some heated and I want to be clear, I certainly will 100% not be man-hating or man-blaming in my project because that is not where the error(s) fall(s).

  • How will you draw on any or some of the following for Project 3? Be specific about how your plans for Project 3 connect to some previous, current or burgeoning interest of your own, such as...

I have a serious passion for gender and women's studies, and all my friends can attest to that. I constantly talk about issues related to GWS, and I seriously do not go a day without talking to my friends about one of them. Women's rights issues and sexuality and gender issues are so prevalent in society today that there is always something new, or perhaps a debate that's been going on forever, being written or spoken about in the news and in social media. 

I have been waiting for an opportunity to voice my strong opinion on a particular issue that I think is very important for my generation and all generations to come, it deals with American culture and sexuality in the recent times. For instance, I often hear the worst stories from my friends about college hook-ups gone wrong, or that people are so uncomfortable with discussing healthy sex and sexuality; the fact that it is so taboo in America compared to the rest of the world should signal that something is not right. I truly think that there needs to be a change in the way we discuss sexuality, particularly female sexuality, with everyone, and especially adolescents because there are too many misconceptions surrounding it that result in a massive negative impact on young adults. 


  • What are the preconceptions, previously held opinions and/or potential areas for 

                personal bias that you should be aware of for Project 3? What about any of the 
                following?:

I'm very aware that I'm biased on this, I'm liberal, as is the rest of my family, but I do come from a very nice small town outside of NYC, where there are many conservatives. I am unsure in what ways I might be biased due to that upbringing, or if it will affect my argument for this project... perhaps I will need to make sure that I'm considering a broad spectrum of people (all socioeconomic classes, races, genders, etc) when arguing that the conversation of sex is transforming in 2016 and why/for what reasons, and how is it... maybe I will narrow the lens and say female sex/sexuality, so I am not reaching/making too broad of assumptions. 

But anyways, I was raised to be a very honest person, and talk very comfortably about things that might otherwise seem like more private/personal topics to some people- that's why it's hard for me to accept that my generation is lacking in communication skills, especially in regards to sex, which results in several harmful circumstances (i.e. rape culture). I need to make sure that my slant and honesty does not offend people who just happen to be more introverted, or prefer not to be open about certain things- although, I do think that these more private people need to consider the debate and realize a problem for a lot of society, even if it's not one they can relate to. 

  • How are you thinking about your audience for this project? Who are you going to make this for? Describe them.

3 target audiences: 
1. Young women, especially HS and college students
2. I want to reach young men, as well, perhaps differently.  
3. Adults, especially parents, who need to speak to their children..
so that their kids are not apart of the uninformed, or confused, or unhappy crowd of teens & adults.

I want to make sure that I'm communicating that this issue pertains to men and women, both, because young men can be just as oblivious about positive sex/communication and uninformed, but obviously the main concern is that often times people are unfamiliar with the idea of female satisfaction, or from the NPR segment where Orenstein spoke about her book:

"Author Peggy Orenstein says that when it comes to sexuality, girls today are receiving mixed messages. Girls hear that "they're supposed to be sexy, they're supposed to perform sexually for boys," Orenstein tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross, "but that their sexual pleasure is unspoken.""

I'm aware that some people do not take rape culture seriously, and think that a lot of actions taken to end rape culture are overly drastic. (people are quite upset about serenades being taken away, which are a greek life tradition, at the u of a.) However, I will make sure that I am very clear on the situations I refer to.
  • Are there any specific words, ideas or ways of arguing that will help you relate to them in this way?

What I find works when I'm talking to girls my age, who tell me really sad stories that relate to rape culture, or prove that society portrays unrealistic expectations for girls (in bed, particularly), or prove that girl's can't communicate their own desires/goals because they're caught up in how they will be perceived by people (it's either a "slut" or "prude," and the weight those labels carry), is if I steer away from talking about sex, and more-so talking about sexual identity.  I will think of that when I'm writing my essay, so my message is not lost or confused. and honestly I'm ok if my language shocks some people, this topic requires a fresh voice, as long as the message is conveyed 

  • What do you want to accomplish with Project 3? What affect do you want it to have on your intended audience? For instance:
To explain more, I am not telling my audience, "girls need to have good sexual experiences so therefore they should go do it," or something, but rather, if a girl doesn't understand sex and isn't comfortable with herself, how can she enjoy it with someone or feel good about herself -- the goal is for girls to realize that finding what they want during intimate times with someone, will help them learn and care about themselves and foster the growth of a healthier, happier, individual.

I want girls and guys to be more comfortable with themselves and each other, so no one gets hurt, or ignores important things. It is too upsetting hearing girls say things like "I just do 'it' because the guy likes it" or worse.. And I want parents to know what's going on and what's at stake for their kids.

I also want parents and kids to see this as a way to have an honest, important conversation. I know that I am lucky to have a phenomenal, honest relationship with my mom, but I know that it's hard for others, but I'm encouraging to break the barrier down. Girls tell me all the time, "wow I wish I could talk to mom about that...." so I want moms/dads to fully grasp the importance and consider changing things, because their daughters will thank them and benefit greatly.

My mom is the one who sent me the NPR segment, and her reaction is exactly what I would expect and would hope to receive by other caring parents if they read my essay:

"It changes the whole conversation for moms and girls and makes me feel bad for you guys it's not easy walking the line bet "slut" and "prude" and getting what you really want out of a relationship "

  • Once you’ve done all your research and figured out what you think about the

              controversy you’ve chosen, what still needs to be accomplished? For instance: 

  • Is there anything that still needs to be explained or pointed out to the people talking about this issue?
  • Is there anything that the people arguing about this need to be reminded of or made aware of? 
  • Are there any perspectives on the issue that still need to be expressed?
  • Are there any persons who we still need to hear from?
  • Is there any information that we still need to gather?


  • What course genre will you be writing in for Project 3?

The standard essay. 

  • What kinds of audience expectations come along with this genre, generally?
That my argument flows and is concise, but engaging with a unique voice, and structure/layout is important, too.
  • What is your history working in the genre you have selected for Project 3?
I've written essays every year for school, but I'm looking forward to not being as constrained as I was in high school-- teachers tended to have their personal expectations, couldn't be as stylistic 
  • Describe your comfort level and general feelings about the genre. How will they affect your work on Project 3?
I'm pretty comfortable with essays, sometimes my organization of paragraphs makes the essay hard to follow, or I try to jam too many ideas in and it convolutes the focus of the paper for readers.
  • What are the two most effective conventions in this genre, in your opinion? Why? Be specific.

I want my essay to be perceived as refreshing and entertaining, while remaining credible.
1. I think the style/voice is very important, so I'll focus on how my tone and my diction are working together
2. Citations (in text) will ground my essay in terms of formality/credibility

  • Are there any historical events that might impact how your audience perceives your argument or the kind of background information or evidence you need to include? 

For instance, does media reporting on any of the following involve your issue/subject for Project 3?:

 I could touch on:
-HBO show girls
-pop culture and media
-politics and education/policy or a specific place or national
            -suburban moms talking to kids vs. city parents?
-America vs. other countries (Scandinavian countries

-regressing culture? NEEDS this conversation for young women and men, and why? What will this do for America? What does it mean for future generations (rape culture, communication, positive sex, feminism, female voice, moving forward)

  • Who else is talking about this topic? Provide us with working hyperlinks to coverage of the controversy on FOUR different media outlets.
1. Economist
2. TIME
3. NY Times
4. Salon

        3.    What are the three or four major counter-arguments you’ll have to respond to, based upon what people are saying in the press/media? Be specific and cite your sources using working hyperlinks.

People who are anti-enlightening, positive sex talk or who discourage young people from exploring their sexuality:


1. Advocates of abstinence-only sex Ed 
      -Conservative voices who may claim that honest and positive sex talks could lead to increased promiscuity or sex in teens and not necessarily responsible, healthy choices.


*I was able to find counterarguments in the comments on the NPR website featuring the audio segment of Peggy orenstein and Terry Gross, discussing the new book. (NPR segment), so there must be credible articles out there disagreeing:

2. General opposing argument: General sex education helps just fine, we don't have the same issues for women as used to








3. General opposing argument: Eventually they will grow up and discover female sexuality on their own





4. General opposing argument: Changing the conversation won't change society because of the force/control social media has over adolescents (the portrayal of women and sex in the media). 


5. General opposing argument: The conversation should be more like telling girls to have respect for themselves, not that reciprocation will get them respect.




2 comments:

  1. I think you’re off to a great start and you’re probably way ahead of looking at your rhetorical situation, but I have a couple things I would like to add: First, you shouldn’t give a shit if you offend people. It’s a tough and violent world and if someone gets offended by another’s opinion, they’re going to have a rough life; better for them to learn that up front. Say what you want to say, say what you need to say, and don’t ever apologize. Your statement about ‘not man hating’ shouldn’t be a part of your post because it’s your opinion. You do you, however you need to.

    Second, you could look up age of consent throughout the globe and compare them to America. I would like to think that religious values play a heavy part in your discussion and I think you could spice things up by touching on that. Remember, as long as you come to the table with a valid argument, offend as many people as you can. Americans are prude and that’s sad.
    Third, rape culture, college, and alcohol. As someone who is older, I see it more as a game to see how many frat kids can get laid…by whatever means necessary. It’s childish, but who’s really at fault? The students? Faculty? Parents?

    Anywho, I’ll check back ‘cause I’m interested in what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with the topic of America's societal and cultural pressures and misconceptions regarding the topic of girls and sex. Another awesome perspective that could be incorporated into the argument could be your own personal experience of being a girl and the expectation that girls have in a sorority on a college campus. That perspective could add to your overall credibility and make it a more personal argument (which is harder to refute). Plus it'll make for a more interesting argument with your own experiences in it. I Love how passionate you are about this topic, I can't wait to see the finished product sis!

    ReplyDelete