Saturday, February 27, 2016

My Major

In this blog post I'll be responding to questions that help me get a deeper understanding of gender and women's studies, and professionals within that major.

What do students in your program or department learn how to do?

GWS makes students more open-minded, and teaches us how to be more tolerable and accepting. It prepares us with critical thinking, presentation/speech, social and writing skills. Students gain an understanding of differences of gender, race, sexuality, culture, social class, they learn how to be better analyzers of information, they learn how to initiate change and think about the future.

What do people who get degrees in this field usually go on to do for work?

-Human resources department
-Teachers/Professors
-Directors of Human Rights Organizations
-Business Owners
-Artists
-Communications consultant
-Administrator of a human services department
-Advocate for victims of domestic violence and hate crimes
-Executive director of a foundation
-Journalist 
-Novelist
-Nurse
-Program director of a rape crisis center
-Psychologist
-Psychotherapist
-Public health educator
-Public relations director
-Social worker
-Work for the law/government


What drew you to this field?

Over Thanksgiving break I met some distant relatives and we were discussing our college majors. The conversation got me brainstorming and thinking about what I'm actually passionate about. I was undecided first semester, and out of nowhere a lightbulb went off in my head. I have always been interested in justice and equality for people, also, I am curious about people and our differences. I wanted to know why we think the way we think and I want acceptance for women and all people. This major is very in the now, and is flexible. I know that I can't go wrong with studying gender and women's studies because it's very progressive.


jaymantri.com ."art graffiti women wall girls" via pexels. CC0 License



My major is very broad, and it is hard to pinpoint three leaders/most exciting people, but I can come up with a few prominent figures that I admire recently. 

Planned Parenthood- Planned Parenthood organization is a huge help to women all around the world, they advise and offer services for all things sexual health-related. I love what they stand for and think they have a huge impact in society for women and their rights. 

Emma Watson- She is more than a celebrity known for her movies, she is an open feminist and involved in many movements and speaks out for gender equality. She is also the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador since 2014, and serves as an advocate for the UN Women’s HeForShe campaign. I think she is well-respected, young, and very smart, which makes her a very powerful tool to spread awareness and change in society for women and all genders. 

Bernie Sanders- I think Bernie actively strives for women's rights; he speaks up about the gender wage gap, women's reproductive rights, and gender inequality. Running for president, he has caught much attention and is well-respected. He genuinely cares about equality in every sense of the word; for all races, genders, etc. 


Top Journals:

1. Gender & Society- a peer-reviewed academic journal, currently published by SAGE Publications in association with Sociologists for Women in Society.

2. Psychology of Women Quarterly- quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal, currently published by SAGE Publications.

3. Women's Health Issues- peer-reviewed, bimonthly, multidisciplinary journal, published by Jacobs Institute of Women's health.

4. Sex Roles- peer-reviewed scientific journal published by Springer

No comments:

Post a Comment