Saturday, February 6, 2016

Analysis of My Rhetorical Situation

With my specific story for my project, I must consider the rhetorical situation. It is important to decipher the audience, the author's (my) purpose, the subject/how it is shaped, and the context in order to have an effective presentation.

1. Analyze your audience. Remember, this project is being designed for an audience of readers/viewers/listeners who would potentially be interested in the specific story you've selected for the project. They're a self-selecting group, based on their interest in the topic.


Many people might be interested in my topic because it is connected to a larger debate, pro-life vs. pro-choice. Therefore, I honestly think everyone would be interested in this topic, no matter if they are pro-life or pro-choice, because it is very controversial for both sides.

I think the most typical people who read about stories dealing with abortion are young to middle age women, who follow politics and government involvement in abortions. However, they may support completely different ends on the spectrum of abortion. 

The story would most likely be read majorly by people (most liberals) who support/care about the reputation of Planned Parenthood. These people are most likely going to be women's rights supporters, and in favor of the government being separated from religion.

OR

by those (most conservatives) whose ideals align with the Center for Medical Progress', christian activist, and anti-abortion activist groups. These people will typically be from a more southern region of the country, and follow more religious or stricter traditions in society.


elementus. "Girl Child Astonished Surprised Joy Portrait" 9/3/07, via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain License.
2. Analyze your purpose. So, now that you've thought a little harder about your audience, what do you want your project to do to them? To do for them? How do you want to make them feel? What are the most important elements of this controversy that your audience might miss or misunderstand that you want to be sure to make clear to them? What do you want to make sure your audience knows about the key stakeholders? What should they know about the setting's effect on the controversy? What about the time period's effect on the controversy? What about other key contextual details that you're worried the audience might not understand?

My goal for my project is to spark interest in my audience in politics that will affect them personally. The country is heavily split on the controversy of legal abortions. Therefore, there are many who want to terminate Planned Parenthood, but there are also plenty of people who firmly believe Planned Parenthood is a necessity. 

What kind of intentions does the CMP have in attempting to expose Planned Parenthood's wrongdoing or blackmarket organ sales? They are trying to persuade people to go against the Planned Parenthood, but they are doing so illegally. Why did the CMP have to deceive viewers in order to turn them against Planned Parenthood and does that show their weakness? I want my project to show my audience that intentions and motives always need to be analyzed so that no one succumbs to folly. 



3. Analyze your author (that is, yourself). What do you bring to this project that no one else in any of my classes could bring to it? How specifically does this story intersect with your own interests or passions or worldviews? How are you the perfect fit for this story you've selected. Really sell yourself!

I am a pro-choice supporter, a gender and women's studies major, and a person who is always siding with justice. I want more than anything for people to see the truth or arrive at their own truth by way of my project. I think that my sense of justice and my constant trying to understand people is perfect for the story I've selected. I am an honest person, and I am often told that I make people feel comfortable. I think if I stay true to myself and the facts that my presentation of the controversy will be entertaining and original. I hope to really draw the readers in and maybe even change their minds on the issue, or the bigger picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment