Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Variety

For this post, I will be discussing the sentence variety in my project 1 QRG.


North.jvta. "creative writing." 2/13/2014, via wikimedia. CC BY-SA 3.0
1. How much variation is there in your sentence structures in the current draft? Can you spot any repetitive or redundant sentence patterns in your writing? Provide a cogent analysis of what the Rules for Writers reading tells you about your sentences.

I have a lot of sentence variation in my project. The only redundancy I've spotted is when I repeat "In simpler terms" when explaining some claims/quotes from two stakeholders, and I personally like the consistency. I don't think it is monotonous. I have inverted sentences too, that make my writing interesting. Also, I have sentences where I already moved adjective phrases and adverbial clauses to the front, like it says to do in the book. Example: Peeking through the thinly draped windows, the sun illuminates various faces and meals set on the reflective tabletops.

2. What about paragraph structures, including transitions between different paragraphs (or, for video/audio projects, different sections of the project)?

For paragraph structure, I begin new paragraphs after intros or conclusion, and to indicate a new idea or a shift in opinion, like a contrast. Also, I make use of transition words, like "additionally" and "for example."

3. What about vocabulary? Is there variety and flavor in your use of vocabulary? What are the main strengths and weaknesses of the draft's approach to vocabulary?

I think my vocabulary is one of the biggest strengths in my project. I use a mix of sophisticated language, but also casual words, and I think it is pretty effective. My peers have said they really enjoyed the details I put in for the descriptions of stakeholders. I think my vocab and my tone makes my voice distinct, and is easily identifiable in my writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment