Sunday, January 24, 2016

My Writing Process

1. What type(s) of writer do you consider yourself to be?

I have never given much thought as to how I approach my writing assignments until now. I think depending on the assignment, I can be a heavy reviser, a sequential composer, and, yes, a procrastinator. If I had to pick one writer that I mainly am, I would say a heavy reviser.

2. Does your writing process include several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?

An approach I use is writing my ideas out in a "sustained spurt of activity," like the heavy revisers. I find myself jotting ideas down and getting everything out on paper, but revising and trying to keep only what is essential. I also implement the sequential composer's technique of rereading and revising as I draft. Another approach, one that I regret being familiar with, is procrastinating- " [I] only have time to create one draft and possibly proofread it before handing it in."

3. Does your writing process seem to be successful? What are the strengths and weaknesses of your approach? 

I've relied on my way of writing for countless assignments and creative purposes and I'm usually happy with the turn out. A strength in my writing process is that I have a knack for using strong language and being detailed. Along with that, I spend time on each paragraph rereading and playing with words, like a heavy reviser. The weakness in my approach is that I sometimes fail at being concise, so my writing is wordy and lengthy.

4. Do you think it might be beneficial for you to try a different approach? Why or why not?

It might be beneficial to try to be more of a sequential composer. Part of the sequential composer's definition is, "[these writers] devote roughly equal amounts of time to planning, drafting, and revising...relying on written notes and plans to give shape and force to their ideas." I don't think I allocate equally, and maybe if I did, I'd have less of a problem with my wordiness and cutting unimportant sentences out.

Public Domain, "Proton Zvezda Crop" July/12/2000 via Wikipedia. Public Domain Dedication License

1 comment:

  1. Note on conventions of the blog post genre: Revisit Step 1.5 from "Deadline 1" to re-familiarize yourself with the conventions of blogging. You're missing one item on the bulleted list of conventions there.

    ReplyDelete